Brendan M. Brownfield
- Golden Gate University School of Law (J.D., 2009)
- University of California, Santa Cruz (B.A. in Anthropology, 2003)
Brendan M. Brownfield
- Represents and counsels businesses in employment matters, including discrimination, harassment, retaliation, wrongful termination, wage and hour, civil rights, as well as ADA compliance and commercial litigation
- Represents clients in all phases of litigation, including discovery, law and motion, and trial
- Practices before all California state and federal courts, as well as before the Department of Fair Employment and Housing, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Office of the State Labor Commissioner, and the National Labor Relations Board
Advice & Counsel
- Counsels and represents businesses, including large and mid-size restaurant franchises, small businesses, contractors and transportation companies in business and employment matters
- Assists clients in the preparation of company policies and employee agreements
- Prevailed on a motion for terminating sanctions in federal court, and in the resulting Ninth Circuit appeal, involving an award of more than $75,000 in attorney’s fees and costs to client, based on opposing party’s bad faith litigation conduct, including false testimony with respect to the occurrence of alleged discrimination.
- Assisted in the preparation of a successful anti-SLAPP motion to strike a defamation complaint filed against a national athletic organization.
- Obtained decision and order from the California Labor Commissioner, following an evidentiary hearing, denying all recovery to former restaurant employee seeking three years of alleged unpaid wages, overtime, and meal and rest break premiums.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of premise owner against employee of independent contractor alleging serious personal injury sustained in a fall from the independent contractor’s truck.
- The State Bar of California
- The Alameda County Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute ("DRI"). Member of the Commercial Litigation and Young Lawyers sections. Served as 2013 Publications Chair for the Commercial Litigation Section, and as contributing editor to the Commercial Litigation Section's monthly newsletter, The Business Suit, from 2011-2013.
- California Court of Appeal Sides with Employers Regarding Stress-Related Disability
- A Win for California Employers: Employee’s Burden of Proof in Discrimination Cases is Now “Substantial”
- New Laws Impacting California Employers in 2013
- Remodeling the Disability Access Claim: New Law Aids California Businesses
- Point-of-Sale ADA Claims Pointing Upward
- (View All)