John J. Verber
- University of San Francisco (J.D., 1988)
- University of Texas (M.P.H., 1982)
- University of San Francisco (B.S.)
John J. Verber
- Specializes in the areas of environmental regulatory compliance, complex litigation and public entity defense
- Successfully tried numerous court actions to jury verdict in both state and federal court
Advice & Counsel
- Represents real property owners, lessees and industrial concerns at administrative hearings, government enforcement proceedings, and in negotiations with the United States Environmental Protection Agency, Regional Water Quality Control Boards, the Bay Area Air Quality Management District and other federal, state and local agencies
- Represents and counsels clients in contract negotiations and real estate transactions, as well as in private cost recovery actions brought under the Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) and its state analog
- Represents public entities and public employment in a variety of matters including environmental, civil rights and tort actions.
- Prior to joining Burnham Brown, Mr. Verber earned a Masters Degree in public health and worked in various aspects of the health care industry, including as an administrator with The Methodist Hospital Health Care System in Houston, Texas.
- Mr. Verber was also employed as a police officer for over five years, including three years as a police detective investigating crimes against persons, property and drug related offenses. Mr. Verber has testified as an expert witness on numerous occasions in state court in narcotics cases and is the recipient of several departmental commendations, as well as commendations from the DEA and US Customs Service.
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Served on the Alameda County Bar Association's Judicial Appointments Evaluation Committee (2010-2013)
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Alameda County Bar Association
- Served on the Board of Directors for the Alameda County Community Food Bank (2005-2013)
- John J. Verber and Robert M. Bodzin Prevail at Trial on International Commercial Litigation Case Involving Distributor in China.
- Ninth Circuit Affirms Summary Judgment For Campus Police Who Reasonably Used Deadly Force
- Ninth Circuit Affirms Burnham Brown Win In Wrongful Death/Alleged Police Excessive Force Case
- Burnham Brown Attorneys Obtain Dismissal of Excessive Force Claim Against Oakland Police Captain